For most middle market business owners, the sale of their business is the single most important, and perhaps the largest financial event that occurs in their lives. Most of them do not have an exit strategy, so selling at the wrong time or without the right information can substantially lower the value of a business.
Selling your business is an important milestone. And choosing the right equity partner is a critical decision with long term implications.
There are a lot of things to consider when choosing an investment partner. It’s not just about the sales price whether you sell a business, buy a Business, raise capital in the USA or Canada, or any other location around the globe;
1. Do they have flexible capital and ability to close a deal under the agreed-upon terms?
2. Are they flexible? Will they work with business owners to design a structure that works for me?
3. Are these people I can trust? Do they share my values?
4. Do they have resources to enhance my business and create additional value?
5. Will they take care of my employees?
To sell my business in Canada, I ensure I always keep the above mentioned points in mind before making a major decision.